Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Back to the writing table

After 2.5 years of not blogging, perhaps out of sheer lack of time, or inability to make time, I'm back in the saddle.  I've decided that Dr. Mom needs to get out all these things that happen when you're a doctor, and a teacher, and a wife and a mother.  And ADD.  Apparently, the confessional blog is the latest and greatest.  So I'm following suit.  A supervisor told me a few years ago that I was a horrible example to the women I teach.  Perhaps.  But reality bites sometimes, and this is my reality.  This is not the reality of all doctors or maybe anyone else's life but mine, so please don't accuse me of putting words in someone's mouth.

In the past 2 years, we have moved from Chattanooga to a small community in NE TN where I teach at a medical school.  After having been at home with Elizabeth for 3 years, Jeff went back to the workforce, also at the medical school.  And Elizabeth went to preschool.  And my days became weeks, weeks became months, and here we are.

In my mind, Elizabeth is still 3-ish, mainly because I haven't been around to experience 3 and 4.  I'm making a concerted effort to be here for 5, and tossing a 10-spot in the therapy jar each time I'm not.  A few weeks ago, I posted an incredibly frustrated bit on FB about hating stay at home moms for all the time they have to get the mundane tasks of life completed, and I got backlash on demeaning someone's choice to stay home.  That was not at all the point.  That particular day I spent HOURS trying to catch up on laundry that had piled up over the span of a week and half.  So, instead of practicing letters, addition, play-doh, or going to the park, I was in the basement with the Shout spray.  When 60 hours a week is the norm (and this includes time at home spent behind the cover of the laptop), an entire Sunday doing laundry (that took a week to fold and put away, mind you) will have anyone at their wit's end.

Perhaps, also, cataloging my days will keep me accountable for my time.  Because every minute (even those spent writing this blog) must be accounted for.  Constant multitasking is nearly impossible for those with ADD, and it's incredibly exhausting.  I keep thinking...if I just get caught up.  (in > 2 years, I haven't even gotten close!!)  But keeping close tabs on my comings and goings may help streamline those 10 minutes here and there that I could be using productively...instead of going to the potty, or combing my hair.

Back to grading attendance forms for my 1st year students for the entire semester.  Then to buy the Christmas presents.  And it's already midnight.

Until tomorrow...or sometime in the near future

No comments: